Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Rookie Mistake

I'll be upfront and honest with all of you because most of you that read this are friends or family of mine! I had the wonderful opportunity to take the family photo of some family friends of ours. And not just one segment of the family, the ENTIRE family. I have never done a full group shot of 10+ people. So I need way more practice doing that.

But I made a rookie mistake. See, John had taken some pictures earlier in the day and was shooting at a high shutter speed to get a good picture of some things he was selling on Craigslist. So when I got to the beautiful gardens on Sunday afternoon I was staking out our spot trying to make sure we wouldn't be interrupting people enjoying the festivities there. I got everyone arranged on the strangely angled staircase. And I forgot to check my camera settings and just started shooting. I was shooting at ISO 1600 and in such bright light and that just means GRAIN. Grain grain grain! I was so disappointed when I got home and looked through all the shots, but thankfully I was able to Photoshop them enough to get the skin tones smooth. If I had the opportunity to do it again I would. But I will forever be checking my camera settings! Overall they look pretty good. What do you think? I might be photoshop'ing some of the kids faces so they're looking at the camera. It's HARD getting them all to look at the camera!










2 comments:

Mubeen May 14, 2008 at 4:50 PM  

You did an amazing job! Since this Saturday won't work out, will you be able to do pics of our family once I'm in shape? We will pay you, of course!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} May 18, 2008 at 8:01 AM  

I love the one with Russ and Linda and their four kids.